Saturday, June 5, 2010

Re: "The Goonies"



This Monday, June 7th 2010 will be the 25th Anniversary of “The Goonies,” so I thought I might briefly talk about the film.

Anyone who was young enough when it came out (at least the people I’ve met), remember the film as a fond reminder of their childhood.

I can remember the theater I saw it in (Saddleback Cinema on El Toro Road in Laguna, Ca.), who took me (my grandmother) and how amazing the film was as an experience. I think, at the time, what was kind of mind blowing was that it was a film starring kids and about kids that never seemed to treat its actors or its audience like kids. There were, to borrow from an old 40’s one sheet, “thrills!” “chills” and “adventure!”

The film gave me everything I was hoping for in a movie. It was, in a word, perfect. I mean, who didn’t want to ride down that water slide at the end and climb onto ‘One-Eyed Willy’s’ ship?

I hear that on certain anniversary’s, the people of Astoria, Oregon (where the film was shot and takes place) have events and welcome members of the cast. Wish I could go this year. Maybe someday I’ll get up there… but for now I’ll simply say:

I am a Goonie.

Thanks to Richard Donner, Chris Columbus and Steven Spielberg for the great film.

1 comment:

  1. I looooooove the Goonies! I can't even count how many times I've seen it.

    ReplyDelete